Since we have half the class on both days, the 2 days in class will be extremely similar. Your child will get to know me and they will also get to know each other. This will be great because we have so many new students! I wanted to let you know a few of the things your child will be doing on his/her first day so that you can talk tonight and share in the excitement!
- We will spend a large amount of the day with organizing supplies. We use community supplies, so they will have unwrapped things, put things in the class storage containers and drawers, and filled up the table caddies.
- We will have a 2nd grade mini-assembly to go over lunchroom rules and playground rules. There are many things the same here that there would be in any other school.
Please reinforce these lunch rules:
* Stay in lunch seat unless given permission to get up.
* Take responsibility for their own mess.
* Use your indoor voice.
Please reinforce these recess rules:
* No climbing up the slides.
* No running on the top of the equipment.
* No telling other kids they cannot play.
* No rough play.
* No toys from home. (This includes Pokemon cards.)
- We have recess at 11:35 and lunch at 12:05. The children first play, then relax with their lunches.
- I will be reading the book "Chrysanthemum" to the group and doing a few activities. We will do some activities for the special names we each have. We also will discuss bullying and how to prevent it using a method called the DeBug system.
DeBug when someone is bothering you:
* Ignore what is happening.
* Move away from the situation.
* Ask nicely.
* Ask firmly.
* Tell an adult.
- We will introduce our math fact fluency program called "Mastering Math Facts".
- Please check the agenda book tonight. Your child will need to show it to you every night and get your initials signed in it. I will check them every day to make sure we have no disconnect between home and school. The top portion will be questions your child can answer about his/her day at school. The bottom will be notes on behavior and homework.
- We will not be using a homework log this week, so please look for the paper "Your Special Name" as tonight's homework. It will be located in the take home folder they receive today.